2011年11月12日 星期六

2011_11_12 rankle \RANG-kuhl\, verb: To cause keen irritation or bitter resentment in.

Word of the Day for Saturday, November 12, 2011
rankle \RANG-kuhl\, verb:
1. To cause keen irritation or bitter resentment in.
2. To continue to cause keen irritation or bitter resentment within the mind; fester; be painful.
She holds that scornful expression long enough to make sure I notice. I make believe I don't. I try not to let it rankle me.
 -- Joseph Heller, Something Happened
The section of it which chiefly rankled in Charteris's mind, and which had continued to rankle ever since, was that in which the use of the word “buffoon” had occurred.
 -- P. G. Wodehouse, Tales of St. Austin's
Rankle has a complex history. It derives from the Middle English word rancler meaning “to fester” which is a derivative of draoncle, late Latin for “a sore” which itself comes from the Latin draco meaning “a serpent.”

沒有留言:

張貼留言